[Farmall] Sleeves for a Regular

John Gustafson gustafsonjohnc at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 19 07:16:56 PST 2009

Son and I seriously got into the old 1928  Regular this week.
Basically we stripped her down to the bare bones to take to the
sandblaster. 80 years of corrosion does make things interesting,
especially when trying to pull pins and cotters. The list of new
fasteners to be obtained is getting longer. The old lube, some of
which was probably put in at Chicago was approaching asphalt.  Ther is
nothing,  so far, that the parts tractor can't cover for replacement.
You start to wonder, did we start restoring the wrong one?????
Meanwhile, the machine shop called up finally from the last session we
had before Thanksgiving.  He'd finall gotten the head and block tanked
and pulled apart

Valve guides and  some valves need replacing, no surprise there. Big
surprise, to me anyway, was the sleeves. Bores seemed OK but corrosion
had encroached into the seal are pretty badly. Shop is concerned about
leakage.

Called Gordon Rice, he wasn't there but I was told that new sleeves
were just not available.  Also was told by others that generally used
ones will be no better than what I have. Still, I'm on the hunt for
some better used ones. It was suggested that we use black silicone on
the seal area.  I decided to try and tap this brain trust and see if
there was any insight here to my dilemma. An option might be a custom
sleeve house but that looks like a thousand dollar + solution and a
major bite to the budget.

John G