[AT] sliglty OT--farm truck parts IS IT OEM FORD?

Robert McBride bob100837 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 17:51:13 PST 2009

I always hated vacuum booster hyd brakes. Bought a used 74 GMC 6000 with that set up and after a couple years
of trouble free service I started looking for parts to convert it to full air brake system. Did some trading around
with my employer and  his brother and a friend of theirs. I had a 392 IH engine that I gave my employer and he gave that  to his friend.                              Got a front axle from one, an (82) 2 speed 23000lb rear end from my boss.
  I had a like new air compressor gathering dust, did a little scrounging for a base for the compressor that
would work on a 366 engine. A few new parts from GM, air tanks from a truck boneyard, a bunch of new air
lines, a couple of quick release valves. Two new spring brakes and I was ready for the road.
The frame on the GM already had holes in the proper places to mount the air tanks and quick release valves.
No doubt a Ford 600 would be relatively easy to convert to air brakes.

On a side note the rear end I used was from a diesel truck and when I got the old 366 wound up on a level road
I was going a lot faster than the speedometer said. It was a lot of fun doing that conversion though.

Bob McBride, retired from just about everything on the extreme south side of Ottawa