[AT] Polar Ice Caps/ block heaters

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 17:31:56 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:20 PM, hank at millerfarm.com wrote:

> Quoting "Roy Morgan" <k1lky at earthlink.net>:
>
>> It looks like temps will be one degree here tonight. I'll plug the
>> truck in for a while before I run it tomorrow, ...
>
> If your batteries are good you don't need that.

I did run the heater for a while today, but did not start the truck.
The electric feed to that barn is QUITE inadequate - a jury rig job by
the former owner or his buddy.  So the truck heater load dims the
fluorescent lamps in the barn.  I run either the truck heater or the
watering trough heater (1+ kw), but I think both would cause trouble.

> ...  Glow
> plugs allow your truck to start at -20 without any help.

I am getting used to watching the glow plug light on the dash.  The
batteries in the F-250 are ok.  A recent trip to the shop had them
tested.  I needed a new starter!

>  If your battery isn't good, then you have a problem. ... Since I
> try to drive the truck only in summer I'm not ready to replace the
> batteries yet.

I don't know what it might cost to renew the two batteries in the
F-250.  Likely a bunch more than the $75 or so I pay for a new one for
the Volvo car,

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net