[AT] Polar Ice Caps

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jan 14 13:54:39 PST 2009

Charlie,
Take a look at NAPA item BK 6053343
or
http://www.maesco.com/products/kim/kim.html
http://www.gillettegenerators.com/accs/engheat1.html
for what they look like.

They kind of operate like a Cubs cooling system, basically a
thermo-siphon system. The water in the heater gets hot and goes through
a check valve. You just install it so the water flow through the heater
matches the water flow through the heater core and splice it inline. As
it heats the water it also pumps it through the system (you can hear it
if you listen while it is operating).

Because of the way it operates if you leave the heater set to defrost or
just on HOT it will warm up the interior and keep the ice/snow from
sticking to the glass. Makes it MUCH nicer when it's cold out to just
jump in. fire up and have heat NOW and a quick wipe of the windshield
outside and your ready to go.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could do like I did with my
response vehicle. It has a block heater and a battery blanket with a
trickle charger as well. They all connect to a marine shore power
connection. That is a reversed 110 circuit, open the cover and you see
prongs instead of a socket. I mounted it in the left fender so that I
just pull the cord out, close the cover and drive away.

Nice warm vehicle, battery at full charge and if I wish I can even flip
a switch and start coffee brewing in the rear compartment while I drive!