[AT] Polar Ice Caps

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jan 14 10:46:25 PST 2009

Ralph Goff wrote:
> Charlie
> I was just assuming that everyone knows about block heaters but of course in
> the south country I guess they are a bit rare. Most block heaters that I am
> familiar with are the frost plug type. Just remove a frost plug and insert
> the block heater. Tighten it up, attach cord and plug in. I installed two ,
> one on each side in the 304 v8 in my IH Loadstar. That way if it needs a
> fast warm up I plug in both cords. Otherwise, for overnight I will just plug
> in one side.
> On the older tractors I have the external 1500 watt circulating heaters.
> They are plumbed into the system through the engine block drain and then
> into a fitting on the upper water manifold. After an hour or so with one of
> those plugged in the temperature gauge on the tractor will be rising into
> the green and the block will be warm. One turn of the starter and the
> Perkins diesel is running. Pretty important when the cows are waiting on
> their hay. :-)
>
> Ralph in Sask.

The external units are the ones I install on my vehicles. They heat much
faster and provide a big benefit in clearing the glass and warming the
interior. Dead simple to install as well. Simply mount the recirculating
heater on a bracket near the heater core. Clamp down on the heater core
return line and cut it so it will reach the fittings on the heat unit.
Hook it up, test for leaks by starting the vehicle and top off the
coolant if you lost much. Route the power lead to a handy spot and your
ready to go.

To power it I have a remote control outlet. It was originally meant for
outdoor lights and will switch 2000 watts. Just push the on button an
hour or so before you plan on leaving and it's warmed up.

I have also used a timer that you set for a certain number of minutes on
during each our. That way it keeps it warm but doesn't stay on all the time.

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter, EMT, Fire Police