[AT] Polar Ice Caps/ block heaters

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Jan 14 10:20:42 PST 2009

Quoting "Roy Morgan" <k1lky at earthlink.net>:

> It looks like temps will be one degree here tonight. I'll plug the
> truck in for a while before I run it tomorrow, If I do run it. The
> truck is int he barn so it may not be as cold in there.

If your batteries are good you don't need that.   I've spent over half
an hour cranking diesel engines before, but they will fire up down to
0 without even glow plugs.   Still better for the engine (not to
mention starter and battery) to plug it in, but not essential.   Glow
plugs allow your truck to start at -20 without any help.  My car (a VW
diesel) started yesterday at -24 after sitting out all night.

If your battery isn't good, then you have a problem.  I have to plug
my truck (Ford 7.3) in anytime it is below freezing, and then go out
over lunch, otherwise it won't get me home without a jump.   Since I
try to drive the truck only in summer I'm not ready to replace the
batteries yet.