[AT] Polar Ice Caps

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 14 09:02:23 PST 2009

Actually that charcoal in the frying pan method of heating an engine dates
way back to the Model T days. I've heard of guys that would shake the ashes
and hot coals out of their wood stove into some sort of pan and then set it
under the oil pan of the old car to help thin out the oil. I'm sure there
were lots of other variations.
One that I often used to help start a stubborn Briggs and Stratton grain
auger engine was to carry a kettle of boiling water out and pour it over the
intake and carb of the Briggs. This heated it up enough that the gas would
vapourize better and certainly helped starting.

Ralph in Sask.