[AT] Big Coleman 6 hp

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 06:33:06 PST 2009

What I need now is a block heater for my air compressor. The big Coleman 6
hp refused to start today in the unheated shed. I've got an old car interior
warmer that I plan to plug in and see if I can persuade it to turn over
tomorrow.

Hi Ralph,
My 3 HP compressor will trip the breaker  (20A)at lower temps. I guess I could use thinner oil
 or try semi synthetic , but then summer does get here for a couple of weeks per year.
I place a 500W quartz lamp on my metal trash can, with the heat guard a few inches from the base of the
compressor.  Usually 5 to 10 minutes of warming does the trick.  On a side note, I have had reason to use
 my 25 year old snow blower this winter.  Based on information which I gained from reading this list, I put
 semi synthetic oil in that on the last change a year or so ago.  So far, at +10F it has not been too stiff
 to fire off and run on the second or third pull. I guess we could say problem solved.  It saves some use on
the above mentioned quartz lamp.