[AT] Polar Ice Caps

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 14 05:13:54 PST 2009

Back in the mid 70's I had a 60's model GMC cabover truck (road tractor)
with an 8 V 71 Detroit diesel.  I put a block heater in it that looked
exactly like a small water heater element.  It was made for the engine and
bolted onto the block after removing a block off plate.

At night I would plug it in,  hook up a trickle charger to the 8D batteries
and leave the cab heater fan turned on low.  In the morning the old Detroit
would fire in 4 or 5 revolutions and the cab would be a toasty 50 degrees or
so.  Sure beat jumper cables in 15 degree weather at 4 AM.  Sorry we don't
know about those minus numbers here yet but if old Al keeps selling carbon
credits I fear it's comming our way.

Charlie