[AT] Polar Ice Caps

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 13 20:54:31 PST 2009

Not to worry Charlie. I have been here before and will likely survive a few
more winters. We hit +20 on the weekend and it snowed so hard I could hardly
see across the yard. Snow was melting on the hood of the Cockshutt 40 from
all the heat generated by the hard working Buda six running the hammer mill
that day. That night I had to install the snowblower to clear a path for a
stuck car . The moon was so bright that I was working without lights and it
was plenty warm even at 0 degrees.
Different story today though. -10F and a nasty southeaster blowing the
falling snow. Predictions for worse tomorrow with wind chill factor in
the -40F range.
Re: the heat light on engines, can't say that I have used it as most engines
here come equipped with block (coolant) heaters. Just plug them in for a few
hours and they start. I've known people that leave their vehicles plugged in
24 hours a day. Must make the power companies happy but if you need a
vehicle ready to go at short notice it is almost necessary.
What I need now is a block heater for my air compressor. The big Coleman 6
hp refused to start today in the unheated shed. I've got an old car interior
warmer that I plan to plug in and see if I can persuade it to turn over
tomorrow.

Ralph in Sask.