[AT] Ford 8n Under Dash Resistor?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 10:41:33 PST 2009

Well, there is another "fly in the ointment": resistance in a wire is
also dependent on temperature. If you don't use a heavy enough wire, it
will heat up, and the resistance (and the voltage drop) will change. But
heavy wires have less resistance than thin ones. Most "ballast"
resistors are cast into blocks of "sand" to help stabilize the heat.
Here is a lab worksheet addressing the issue:
<http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys273/manual/temp_coeff.html>.

So, while Steve's idea would work some of the time, it won't work all of
the time. When I install a ballast resistor in a tractor that I am
converting from 6 volts to 12 volts, I try to place it in the air stream
of the fan in an attempt to keep the temperature change to a minimum.

In fact, I have a Farmall 340 that I converted (and installed a
Pertronix ignition module) not too long ago, and I am having trouble
getting it started due to poor spark. Once started, it runs fine, and I
am beginning to suspect that the culprit might be the ballast resistor I
installed when I did the conversion.

Mike