[AT] Was - Oliver 770(OT) - Now O.T. - putting a loved pet down

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:53:55 PST 2009

Egad this dragon had a long tail... I must have deleted a dozen quoted
messages off of it.
There is what I think is a better way than shooting a loved dog (I
have had to do that years ago). We had a very old family dog of many
years that we think had cancer. She was in a good deal of pain. She
had crawled through an open crawl space door to get under the house
where it was cool and dark. I could not shoot her there and any
attempts to move her was far too painful. I finally decided to put her
to sleep, literally... A rag well soaked in ether and held gently over
her nose soon put her into a quiet sleep. At that point I was able to
mover her painlessly out from under the house. I slipped her gently
into a large clear plastic bag and re-soaked the rag heavily with
ether  and placed it in the bag with her and folded the top of the bag
over. She simply sank quietly into deeper sleep and then passed away
quietly. No blood, no trauma, no loud noise...
Don't smoke while doing this.   :-)
I think I have mentioned here before that when we bury a favored pet
we plant a tree on their grave. The pet's name becomes the name of the
tree. The pet truly becomes part of the tree and in that respect lives
on and looking at the tree reminds us of the pet..
"Old Shep" is standing about 25' from my back door. I don't recall the
year she died but the big maple is about 2' in diameter.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)