[Ford-ferguson] Ferguson dim headlights

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 06:57:20 PST 2009

The TO-20 / 30 tip-up hood is a bad headlight ground waiting to
happen. I am rewiring mine right now and I will add a full copper wire
ground system to parallel the feed wires all over the tractor.
The guys on the regular ATIS mail list are all quite used to my long time quote:
"Check the grounds,
Check the grounds,
Check the grounds".
:-)
There are two conductors, one is the feed wires and the other is the
ground through the tractor's chassis and body parts. Both conductors
are of equal importance.
Not long ago I foolishly ignored my own advice and was fighting a
weird trailer lighting problem and sure enough, when the dust settled
it was a bad ground in an odd spot.
Another tip:
I have been turning wrenches for a lot of years but some years ago I
learned a trick from a young mechanic that bought an old SP combine
from me. It had sat for some time and wouldn't start even when jumped.
It had fuel, compression etc. The first thing he did then was to
spritz a bit of WD-40 on absolutely every single electrical
connection. Then when we threw a load on it trying to start it several
connections began to smoke as the WD-40 heated up. About 4 cleaned
connections later the voltage loss was down enough that it fired right
up.
It probably might have started by pulling it since the starter would
not have been sucking all of the available current but that was not an
option on that unit.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)