[AT] internal block repair

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jan 1 06:24:59 PST 2009

If the structural soundness is not really necessary, I would recommend
just using JB weld or Belzona or Devcon.  In a vertical repair, JB weld
will run.  You could tape some cardboard below the crack if it is
horizontal to create a channel for the JB weld to sit in until it is
set...  Then grind off what is not necessary with a dremel grinder or
something larger.

I say this because I have tried to repair blocks near oil galleries and
just had the crack expand into the gallery..  Heating really can mess
things up unless you take the entire block apart and heat it evenly.  I
have done this on 2cyl blocks and on large truck rear end castings.  I
heated and welded the part while it sat on a turkey fryer burner.  I let
it get warm to about 300 deg, then brazed it with carbon arc and brass
rod... This is a job best done outside in the winter...

The truck rear end I welded is still in daily service after 22 years!!!!
  I even welded up the pinion cage!!!

Cecil in OKla