[AT] internal block repair

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 1 05:14:40 PST 2009

 Trying to fix an oil leak on a Farmall Cub. In years past the block was
broken at the front right lower corner (not too uncommon depending on the
owners). The block was welded on the outside and where the pan bolts up---no
welding on the inside. Now the weld has cracked where the pan lays so oil
gets inside the crack from inside the motor, runs down to the gasket and
then leaks to the outside. I am thinking of cleaning the inside with carb
cleaner and applying some JB Weld or Belzona to the crack. Then I am going
to coat the area with Glyptal. Then we will reinstall the pan using black
oil resistant silicone on the gasket. Other than pulling the engine and
re-welding the block (which is not an option for this Cubs owner) anybody
got any other ideas/suggestions?

Happy New Year!

John Hall