[AT] New 8N/Now hay, coastal bermuda

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Feb 24 09:08:30 PST 2009

Don't knock the horse people! I made a pretty good living at the New
Holland dealer, selling compact tractors with loaders, three point field
mowers, and little Millcreek manure spreaders to folks with 5 acre
"farmettes" and two horses. :-) If it weren't for the horse people, I
think the dealer would have folded up - none of our local (mostly dairy)
farmers could afford to buy new equipment. Our other customer base was
landscape contractors buying machinery to prepare new lawns for sod, as
well as driveway installers.

The local TSC doesn't have much in the way of tractor supplies - they
just cater to horse and dog people, selling "work" clothing, horse
accessories, and that kind of thing.

Speaking of hay, some of the local farmers put up "small" bales of
"special" horse hay that the yuppies can handle easily and put in the
back of their SUVs. I don't know if they supply plastic bags to keep the
hay from getting the cars "dirty". One of my neighbors pays a guy to
haul his "special blend" of horse hay down from Bob McNitt's area. This
guy's barn is finished nicer inside than my house.

Mike