[AT] New 8N/Now hay, coastal bermuda

Easley, Greg EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Tue Feb 24 08:26:37 PST 2009

You've got it figured out Charlie.  All the enjoyment of the horses
without the
expenses!  I've not seen the beet pellets here, but the shreds are easy
enough
to deal with.  I keep the back stock on the hay pile and feed out of
30gal trash
cans.  I handle the sweet feed the same way.  The bins sit beside the
door to the
run-in shed part of my shop/garage/horse barn which makes it real handy
at feeding
time.

The barn is a 30'x40' with a 12'x40' shed on the south side.  I built a
10'x12'
stall on each end of that and left the middle 20' open.  On the inside I
have a
5'x12' hay rack centered on that space and a dutch door on either side
of the hay
rack.  When the weather's mild I'll open the top section of those doors
while I'm
working in the shop and generally have a horse or two keeping an eye on
me.  I'm not
sure if it's because they're curious or just hopeful that I might give a
handful of
apple treats.  Maybe a little of both.  Either way I enjoy the company.

I have to say that the beet shreds are nearly a miracle feed for a
broken-mouthed
animal.  That mare looked like a walking skeleton at the end of last
winter and I
was ready to put her down.  She was a rescue case, and daughter's first
horse.
Daughter wasn't at all happy with the thought of putting her down so I
started looking
for a solution.  Gal at the feed store suggested the beet shreds.  After
two weeks of
that stuff the spark started to come back in her eyes and it wasn't long
after that
she started to put some weight back on.  In ten months she's gained
200lbs, maybe a
little more.  She had been getting 3 gallons of senior feed and free
choice hay prior
to that, but due to the lack of mastication her gut wasn't working.  She
was basically
starving to death on a full belly.  The addition of the beets as her
bulk roughage
literally brought her back from the dead.

Greg