[AT] OT Rödja - The blacksmiths shop fireplace

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Feb 23 19:00:49 PST 2009

Bob McNitt wrote:
> Steve -
>
> The name on the stone is "John McNitt." b: 25 April  1749 d: 13 April 1835.
> Yes, I'm familiar with the Lippitt House, and when I'm there next time, I'll
> think of your Mom. Thanks for that. Ironic that when you mention
> Cooperstown, nearly everyone thinks of the Baseball Hall of Fame, but only a
> few know about the Farmer's Museum, the Fenimore House or even Leathstocking
> Country (Last of the Mohicans). Lots of historical farming equipment on
> exhibit at the Museum. Nice golf course nearby as well, and good fishing in
> Otsego Lake. Something for everyone. Better stop ... I'm starting to sound
> like a tourism promoter.
>
> Bob

I'm just about 20 minutes away from Cooperstown. In an area that they
are helping to bury because of politics and downstate camp owners.

Mom and her family grew up in Hinman Hollow and then more or less stayed
in the area.

I HATE visiting other states and countries and you mention NY and the
IMMEDIATE reaction is "Oh the city" NOOOOO....
So I say I'm near the HOF and they don't look at me like I'm a two
headed glowing frog. (Well most of the time they don't!)

If you head out to the museum around planting time or reaping time you
should wander through the VanHornesville/Springfield Center area on the
side roads. There are a LOF of Amish and Mennonites in the area now and
you get to see the "antique" equipment actually in use. Along with that
you get to watch the 5-8 year old kids running the VERY non-OSHA
approved stuff....

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter, EMT, Fire Police