[AJD] Unstyled B conundrum

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Wed Feb 18 13:55:42 PST 2009

In my opinion,
I always suggest that you have the machine shop supply the sleeve. That way if
something were to go wrong they can't say "we're not standing behind the job, it
was the sleeve's fault". Know what I mean?
If the machine shop can't find a sleeve, find another machine shop!

By the way, when the job is completed that bore for all intents and purposes is
back to new. Unless the other bore is worn significantly I wouldn't sleeve it.

Greg

NOW!! CHECK YOUR PART #'S AT WWW.JOETRAKTOR.COM!

WE ARE NO LONGER ON THE JOHN DEERE PARTS LOCATOR

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
1-866-381-8703 FAX
> I wouldn't worry about the 2 sides being the same oversize, either.  I
> can'timagine that would make a discernable difference.
>
> If you run into too much trouble, I'd think a salvage block would be
> prettyavailable and reasonable.
>
> Maybe post to the larger list to make sure I'm on the right track on
> thosesleeves.
>
> Best of luck, Bill!
>
> BB

antique-johndeere-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com[antique-johndeere-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com]
On Behalf OfBill Thompson
> Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:09 PM
> To: Antique John Deere mailing list
> Subject: Re: [AJD] Unstyled B conundrum
>
> Hi Bill,
> Can you help me out , looking for a sleeve for my 1939 B , my mechanic
> saidhe only needed one, and that is the one that was stuck,and bore it to
> matchthe other one. Or should I do the other one also? Thank's  Bill T.

Behalf OfBill Brueck
> Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:24 PM
> To: 'Antique John Deere mailing list'
> Subject: Re: [AJD] Unstyled B conundrum
>

> I changed mags on a later model B several years ago.  That was before I
> hadmanuals and Internet and such luxuries.  The coupling had a different
> angleon the replacement mag and I just loosened up the governor housing enough
> tolift it up and skip a few teeth on the gear.  A little trial and error
> andit was timed OK again.
>
> Yeah, I know, not the right procedure for a restoration.  I wasn't
> tryingfor a restoration, I had my farmer hat on and needed to get a tractor
> running.  I remember that was the tractor that had been converted to an
> alternator.  But the engine wouldn't rev up enough to start the
> charging.So I put a push button on the dash to excite the alternator so it would
> start charging.
>
> It ran just fine.
>

> Bill Brueck
> Chatfield, Minnesota, USA
>
> Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.

On Behalf OfMike Scholl