[Farmall] electrolysis

PAUL SIGMUND pwsigmund at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 20:31:39 PST 2009

As others have pointed out, the electrical factors are usually much more
controlling than the chemical.   I haven't seen much difference between TSP
and washing soda.  All you are doing is supplying ions to provide
conductivity to the water.  As long as you supply a cup or so per 55
gallons, concentration isn't a critical factor, although some say too much
may draw too much current and overload your charger.  The surface area of
the anodes, and their cleanliness,  are critical factors.  I initially used
5 lengths of rebar in a 55 gallon tank, with good results.  But efficiency,
indicated by current flow, dropped quickly after a day as the anodes became
coated, resisting transfer.  I replaced the rebar with 5 strips of 1/4x2
inch flatbar, which not only increased surface area, but were much easier to
clean between runs, using a scraper rather than the wire bruch required for
the rough rebar surface.   Also mentioned, and highlighted here, are the
electrical connections.  Flat bar facilitates a much more secure and
effective connection via crimp terminals than rebar using clamps.  If you
can find a surplus DC power supply, you can speed the process by supplying
higher voltage.