[AT] Farm Memories

yestergears at intrstar.net yestergears at intrstar.net
Fri Feb 13 06:13:11 PST 2009

They may have had the brown patch come to think of it.  They were definitely around the cows all the time.  It was always funny to me to
see them standing on the cows backs riding around.

  I've heard of the Bemmis but around here the dealers sold the Holland. We swapped labor with my uncle as well. My dad was particular
about how the plants were dropped as well and he usually drove the tractor.  He was always looking back at the droppers , usually telling
us how much "root" to give the plants.  Root was how much of the bottom of the plant you left out of the clip so that the depth the plant
was set was determined.  I remember learning to time my movements by the teclick teclick of the setter as it tripped the water valve.
Every other teclick was mine. lol. We got to the point that we could move down a row at a pretty good speed and if you were really good,
you could catch a missed drop your partner made.  That was motivated by not wanting to use the peg lol.
   We had the "hand setters" too.  But we used the pegs.  Dad tried to time resetting the missed drops right after a rain so that we
didn't have to carry water.  If that didn't happen it was either the buckets as you described or the hand setter.  I still have one of
them , but I hate them if there is a lot of work to be done.  You could actually make more time with the peg and buckets.  Most of our
pegs were made from old axe handles or hammer handles. They lasted forever.  Worst time I remember was after we had set about 6 acres
there came a pounding rain that packed every plant in the field in the ground.  We had to walk over and free everything in the field.
  Dad always wanted to "chop" or hoe the whole crop soon after it was set out and had taken root.  He said breaking the crust in the row
helped the crop  get started.  Then he took the 140 and some rake type cultivators and went over everything . It must have worked.  He
usually had a pretty good crop.    When summer came, we would pick 100 bushels of bell pepper a day and not finish one set of 8 rows
usually.   Had it washed packed and to the market by two so that you could start your regular farm work.

one little patch of light brown under their neck maybe?

Oh yeah we had a two man "setter".  Another brand was Bemmis.  My dad was
6'6 and he had to modify one seat on the transplanter so he could fit in it
to "drop".  That is one job I never did was drop plants.  I don't know just
why except that my dad was very particular that it got done just right and
usually he and one of his farmer friends would do it together on each others
farms.

Yep, we used real wooden pegs.  You take a 5 gal bucket full of plants,
another 5 gal bucket full of water and a peg and walk the rows looking for
"skips" or plants that died.  Somefolks used those big ole hand
transplanters that looked like the Tin Man's Leg.  I hated those things and
we didn't have any of them.

Charlie