[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:28:06 PST 2009

I'm not one to shy away from a discussion or debate although I do try
to keep it civil.  No need to "bash" anybody, but we can all state our
own case from our respective individual viewpoint.

I don't think Henry said his equipment fixes problems 80% of the time.
 I think he said 80% of the work coming in the door can be handled by
a minimum-wage drone (my words; I think his words were to the effect
of "parts changer" and "leaving your brain at the door") as long as
that drone has an OTC Genisys to tell him what to do.

I disagree.

Also, understand that there are at least two markedly different
auto-repair camps:  you've got your dealerships, and you've got your
independents (the shops that are NOT new-car dealerships, and work on
nearly anything that comes thru the door).  A third camp would be the
independents that tend to specialize in one area such as Asian, or
German, or domestic.

Dealers fix two kinds of problems; anything at all that comes up under
warranty (most of which is pretty mundane), and, the really tough or
oddball problems that require the very pricey OEM scan tools that the
independent shops are forced to send back to the dealer because by and
large the independents don't have the OEM tooling.  A smart dealer
will have at least one GOOD tech on staff to handle these problems,
and a bunch of drones to handle the mundane.

Independents work on cars that have slipped beyond their warranty
periods.  They need scan tools that are capable of addressing the
widest variety of cars out there, and, those scan tools have to be
priced competitively.  The OTC Genisys and others in this category are
targetted primarly at the independents.  It is critical for the
designers of these scan tools to strike a balance between capabilities
and the cost to provide those capabilities.  Techs at an independent
shop need to have a wide range of competencies.

Steve O.