[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Feb 10 19:36:11 PST 2009

Henry Miller wrote:
> As the maker of computer diagnostics (otc genisys), the computer
> knows about 80%, and the parts replacer just replaces that part
> (cheaper than fixing it).  There is no real need for brains, so leave
> them at the door.
>
> That other 20%...  Well it is still a 4 cycle engine, and everthing
> from a 1887 engine appies, plus a bunch of new things like EGR.  Some
> times understanding hot tube ignition or points helps solve problems
> even on modern distributorless ignition systems.  The most important
> part is problem solving skills combined with an understanding of how
> things work.  (Expirence is helpful too)  Once you have that the
> computer can tell you lots of interesting things, but if you don't
> know what it means knowing the data won't help.

As the owner and user of a Genisys I can say they are a nice TOOL.
One question though. Why doesn't anyone answer any E-mail when you ask
questions about them?

I also do not agree that the computer is 80% of the system. 50% at most.
There are MANY problems that the scanner may give you the data that the
computer sees but it is up to the tech to read that data and determine
the correct answer. I have seen a LOT of parts changers who just keep
swapping parts because "the computer told me it was bad" when it wasn't
any of those parts that were at fault.
I am not singling out the Genisys, I have similar issues with the the
Tech-2 and a couple others. They are nice tools to have but they will
NEVER replace a good technician.

--
Steve W.