[AT] Farm show observations

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 10 04:22:55 PST 2009

Oh yeah Travis.  Old (orange) habits die hard.
I went to Trenton but didn't stay.  There was a nice D-15, a rough D-14 and
two 3 bottom AC plows that I would have liked to have but money is funny
this year so I left before they were sold.  It was a pretty good sale this
year.  I think the salvage yards got most of the junk last fall and there
was actually some equipment and running vehicles on the sale this year.

I remember those weather events well.  Particularly the 73 snow.  In the
areas protected from the wind where there was no drifting we had 19".  After
3 days we made our way out to Hwy 70 on foot.  When we got there we found
one track open in the east bound lane.  There were cars and trucks trying to
go each direction in that one track.  Traffic backed up as far as you could
see.  Everyone was out of their cars.  They would push one car off into the
snow bank, drive one past it going the other direction , push it back out
into the track and start again.  It was a mess.

It's hard to remember now but 25 years ago there weren't that many 4WD
vehicles around.  No one had even tried the west bound lane.  We were out
there in the road trying to help the traffic jam as best we could.  All of a
sudden I looked down the road and saw a white fog billowing up in the
distance.  As it got closer we could see that it was a Chevy Blazer, about a
68 model, green and tan.  It had big tires on it.  In the front seat were
two men wearing overalls and caps.  In the back seat was a man wearing what
looked like a wool top coat and holding a brief case in his lap.  That
Blazer was cutting it's own path in 19" of snow at what appeared to be about
30 MPH.

We figured that that truck belonged to some fishermen down east in Carteret
Co and that some guy with plenty of money (guy in the back seat) had found
them and paid them to get him somewhere.  Believe me they were getting the
job done.  I knew right then that I'd own a 4WD truck some day!

The roads were so bad that DOT was completely overwhealmed.  3 days had gone
by and a major US 4 lane highway hadn't even been touched.  We called a
friend that had a wrecker to come get us and he couldn't get there.  Finally
a man on our road ran out of fuel oil in his furnace.  He called an
emergency number and they sent the national guard motor grader to clear the
road so the fuel oil truck could get down it.