[AT] Old trains/now NC State foolishness

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Thu Dec 10 06:01:34 PST 2009

I was reasonably qualified but also being from a smaller school I didn't
have the advantages of many advanced classes or the best of teachers in
all subjects - especially in science and math.  Some how I scored well
on the PSAT (no doubt I had a great day) and as a result received a 4
year scholarship from Western Electric (AT&T) because my dad worked
there along with the score on the test.  That scholarship made it
possible for me to get a 4 year degree and was a a major event in my life.
So that required some study to overcome.  I did have an advantage by
living in Metcalf dorm - part of some special program that provided some
preference in class sections and some help sessions specifically for
Metcalf residents.
I did learn very quickly that it was up to me to sink or swim.  A few
professors actually tried to teach - most viewed teaching as a necessary
evil to accomplish before heading to the lab.
A few years later I was part of a team that hired some of the Textile
faculty for consulting work - quite a difference when you hold the purse
strings <g>.

I'll have to say after working in industry for many years I learned a
lot of what I know from the people I worked with.  The academic
foundation provided the framework to understand what I was later taught
but in no way did that 4 year degree make me qualified to do anything by
itself.  Beyond all that the smartest man I ever knew was my grandpa -
2nd grade education and all.  Don't get me wrong education is a
wonderful thing BUT one can have all the "book learnin" in the world but
without that practical experience it is wasted.

David
NW NC