[AT] New tractor

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 6 09:29:23 PST 2009

You guys probably remember my rant about the way the tractor companies
have rated the horsepower on the tractors lately.  Engine instead of the
old PTO rating.   Well My Case/IH JX85 is no longer around here.  Last
Friday I went down to Chickasha to get it off a lot where a friend works
at a dealership.  The dealer wanted about $5k to sell it for me and It
just sorta stuck in my craw..  I figured I could sell it myself..  On
the way I had to strop at the Case/Ih dealer that installed the front
end loader and pay the bill to install the heater hoses in the cab and
some other parts when it was in for the loader install..  ($1400)

Well, while there he had a Ford/New Holland TS110 with a Woods Duall
loader with a bale spike and bucket.  The tractor was a 2002 midel with
1680 hours.  My Case/IH had 1450 and was a 04 model.  After a lot of
haggling we arrived at $7500 difference.   Of course I had to pay that!!

So, I could have bought the tractor for $31,900 outright, but with all
the missteps with the case/ih, it only cost me $2000 more.  So, I got a
$2k lesson.

The new holland is 108 engine horsepower, with cab and air that works,
and it has a full power shift with a wet clutch and a clutchless
shuttle.  The shuttle shift is just under the left side of the steering
wheel and it takes a finger to stop it.  When baling hay I can just push
the lever to stop and not have to hold down that stiff clutch I had on
the White I was using to bale with.  Hopefully that will keep me from
having to have some joints replaced later, as my knee and hip were
killing me when I baled 100 bales in a 6 hr period this summer.  The cab
has enough room to move around in and has the connections for my bale
monitor.  My first house did not cost this much....

With my Dad in the shape he is in, I cannot get away much, so, farming
and custom baling is one of the ways I can supplement my retirement..
HOwever, I cannot aford to get in the shape he is in from setting on a
tractor in the sun for hours at a time breathing the dust.   He has 2
spots on his lung and never smoked.  Several skin cancers and wore a
large hat when on the tractor..  It just makes sense to have a cab if
you have to work on these for a living...  I still want to find a cab
for the old 930 Case as it is my "Baby" and my "go to' tractor when I
have to try out a new implement..

With the wind and cold temperatures we have had lately, I am so thankful
for the cabs on the Belarus 825 and the 8345 and now with this New
Holland, it is a joy to drive tractors.

I got to go feed, you guys have a great day...

Cecil inOKla