[AT] The last question I had on my list for December.

Rob Wilson ro.wilson at att.net
Thu Dec 31 21:54:08 PST 2009

I also visited my Grandma and Grandpa's farm and being too small to actually
do much manual work I "got" to ride on the wagon and stack the bales while
the neighbor boys and Dad tossed them up to me while Grandpa drove the A-C
C. I was amazed how these kids only a few years older than I could grab a
bale in each hand and toss them up to me to stack. The other treat was
getting up in the haymow to stack the hay in the barn as high as the roof
right next to the wasp nests on what seemed the hottest day of the summer.
Since I was a city kid I didn't get to drive the tractor but got to do the
stacking. I remember we were over the hill and Grandpa dropped the wheel on
the wagon which was actually two wheeled wagon made from a model T rear end
and a tree as a tongue and the entire load dumped off on top of me. Grandpa
and Dad thought I was dead or at least maimed. I was only shook up and
hopped back on to stack the load after we dumped it. It's really ironic that
I being a city kid at the time was never allowed to work the equipment while
Grandpa was alive but after all was said and done and the farm sold to my
cousin I was the one that ended up with the A-C C that was my Grandpa's
first tractor. And as most of you know thanks to Gene Dotson it's restored
and better than ever. I'd give my left arm to have those days back and smell
the sweet smell of fresh mowed hay. It never did seem like work even when I
got to be old enough to toss bales myself.
Rob