[AT] Shop lifts

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 03:43:50 PST 2009

I had kind of parked the notion of a lift but it was brought back both
by the availability of funds and the lack of a young employee where I
was getting oil changes of properly tightening the drain plug which
could have been very very expensive. That and a couple of episodes of
me laying on the ground working on something and my #$%& knee making
getting up almost impossible. Laying on the ground using a cell phone
to get a little assistance is pretty tough on the ego. :-)
Son Scott and a couple of son-in-laws would probably keep it busy. I
would never charge Scott because of all of his help but I might ask
any others to drop 4 or 5 bucks in a coffee can for "upkeep"...
I have had several $100 to $300 under car / truck repair jobs done
that I could have done easily with a lift (or pit) and I have several
jobs waiting to be done. Even getting down to do brake work is quite a
chore some days and there is usually a price to pay later.
-
One reason I like this kind of 4 post lift is that it can be moved. I
have a shop location in mind where I could raise it on the wheels and
roll it forward to have the floor where it will normally be used wide
open again. If I pour a slab outside I could roll it outside and work
under a big shade tree right at that corner of the shop. In many cases
I prefer working outside in nice weather.
-
I do have a chain hoist in the shop and the brackets in place for a
12' track section and I have the trolley for it. Still missing the
tuit...
I also regularly use the loader on the Super M as a hoist and I have a
3 point boom I use a good bit. The older I get the better I get at
using such tools instead of just man-handling stuff like I always did.
I now have a small fleet of dollies and carts. :-)
Once the 8N is running (sometime later this winter) the 3 point lift
forks will probably be a fairly permanent fixture on it.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"