[AT] Shhhh! Quiet==electrical

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 29 07:11:55 PST 2009

I am a firm believer in wiring to the NEC at minimum. I also feed through a 200A service. What really sizzles me is the kitchen outlet must be 20A fed with 2/12 w/g form a 20A breaker.  The problem is the counter top appliance which will plug into this outlet, usually made in some far off place.  The power cord may be inadequate to the point that it gets hot during operation.  The interior wires are often #18 or #22.  I once had a coffee maker or ??? which would not work right out of the box.  It was made somewhere south of Texas.  I opened it up to find two wires were not inserted inside a plastic wire nut far enough to connect to each other.  I know the recommendation is to unplug when not in use, but how many people do this on a regular basis?  After all, they are UL approved.  I would guess many house fires start on top of the kitchen counter.

Just my 2 cents.

Charlie V. in frigid WNY