[AT] Gas Tank Liner

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Dec 29 07:18:25 PST 2009

I put duct tape over the bottom, forming it to the original shape as best I
could.  Then sloshed several rounds of K-P around inside the tank and it
forms a new bottom for the tank.  When it's sealed you pull the tape off and
file and sand to shape the exterior contour to your satisfaction.  I may
have used some body putty on this to finish it out, I don't remember now.
If you look closely you'll see the job is far from perfect, I never was any
good as body work.

K-P is the consistency of water when you start.  After about 3 minutes
(depends a lot upon temperature) it starts to thicken and it thickens FAST.
To start with I used too much at a time.  I couldn't slosh fast enough when
it started to firm up and I end ended up with big kwik-poly boogers inside
my tanks.

You don't have to worry too much about the rust in the tank, just shake out
what's loose.  The rust will be bonded into the hardened K-P.

Bill Brueck
   Chatfield, MN USA