[AT] Shhhh! Quiet==electrical

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 05:47:41 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:56 PM,  <Edchainsaw at aol.com> wrote:
> it must be contagious  as  my sister is running into  that   herself---
> hers was  INITIATIED by  a  Nail  driven in the wall  above a  light switch....
> its melted her  fuse box (ya it wasn't really up todate--  it was  a  'self
> wiring job' that she baught )

I had an uncle (my father's brother) who lived for many years in a
very nice older house in a nice neighborhood in Muncie Indiana. I had
been in his house many times but had never been in the basement. This
house pre-dated the time when rooms had a bunch of outlets and mostly
just had ceiling fixtures. Like many houses of that particular time
the receptacles had been installed in the floor. Most were just a
single with a brass plate. One day he asked me if I would help him
carry his water softener tank out of the basement so he could replace
it. I dropped by and we headed down to the basement and I started
looking around while he unhooked the tank. He told me that he had
wired the basement and the outlets upstairs himself. He seemed kind of
proud of it and I was only 19 and would have never said anything to
offend him but I was aghast... They outlets had no boxes at all but
were just in holes through the floor with the wiring connections all
exposed in the basement. He had run the old 2 wire cloth covered Romex
across the basement by nailing it with roofing nails with the nails up
between the 2 wires... (shudder)
His daughter and son-in-law moved into the house after he passed on
and they had it all rewired...

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson