[AT] Case D

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 05:58:46 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Gene Dotson <gdotsly at watchtv.net> wrote:

>    A DC-3 and SC-3 Can be equipped with single front, dual wheel front or
> adjustable wide front. The front wheels are always in front of the tractor
> frame. A SC-4 and DC-4 will be non adjustable front and will be mounted
> below the radiator, making a short wheelbase tractor. Rear wheels on DC and
> SC were 38 inch rim size while S and D tractors were on 26 inch rubber. The
> D and S I have both have turning brakes and were an option. As a matter of
> fact, all the Case tractors I have have turning brakes. Only exception was
> the 1934 C and it is no longer here.
>
>                                                            Gene

Additionally, the DH (they didn't build a lot of them) does not have turning
brakes. I'm not sure what the H stands for but it has the same tall narrow
tires of the DC (38"?).
The DC sometimes has adjustable (sliding) rear axles. Early ones used a
bolt-in insert to adjust the rear wheel spacing (same as my DH).
The DCS is a high crop with drop boxes and is usually pretty rare (saw one
at the Yuma auction).
The DO has a narrow stance (short axle housings) and turning brakes.
The DV (Vineyard) has a really narrow stance (really short axle housings)
with the seat hanging off the back a little bit. It has turning brakes and
can have optional skirts like some of the orchard models (mine didn't come
with them when I got it). It can get into really tight spaces. The DO and DV
have a low operator height and the smaller back tires (26"?). I believe they
both use the same front end as the standard D.

The DI has separate turning brakes and a foot clutch which wasn't offered on
the rest of the D models until the last couple years of production (I
think). I have a DI with a loader and I think they learned how to pour metal
from Caterpillar when they built the DI and loader. It's really heavy and
doesn't have power steering... a real handful with a loaded bucket and you
need the concrete weight on the back to get the right balance on the
tractor. I'm trying to figure out how to put a power steering unit on it yet
and I think it would be a rather useful tractor. It can lift and dig better
than my Bobcat if you're only going in a straight line..

Sorry... this probably isn't helping keep them sorted out.

Ken in AZ