[AT] Shhhh! Quiet

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 27 17:31:23 PST 2009

 I encountered a similar problem last weekend. I have a hunting camp
with three house trailers. The Bunk House did not have any power. I
opened the box and had 220 between the two mains.  219 between one bus
and ground and about 60 volts from the other bus to ground.

Open Ground any one! The neutral was floating.

The service is underground and has failed before. It is connected to the
trailer with a big 100 amp four conductor Hubble twist lock connector.
We removed the back shell from the connector and had power there. We
then removed the other half of the connector and had voltage there. That
only left the Big #6 portable cable in the wall. It could not be that! I
checked everything again. Finally looked at the cable where it entered
the trailer and saw four or five holes in the neoprene jacket. It seems
the ground wire burnt in two.

My guess is lighting. The meter loop was struck this spring and the box
melted down.

Anyway we did not have any cable and it was Sunday so we went Turkey
hunting on the river and Killed two wild hogs. Nothing ever goes as
planned :-}

I guess we get to fix the Bunk House service next weekend./
/