[AT] A new question

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 23 08:55:44 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:12 AM
Subject: [AT] A new question

>I had this question on my list of questions for this month but after
> some thought I'm not sure I can even answer it myself...
> -
> If you could only have one old tractor what would it be??? Try to base
> it on using as well as showing and maybe avoid just shooting for the
> most expensive thing on the planet. :-)
> Remember I said "old" tractor.

If 1964 can be considered old then I guess I'd have to pick my Massey Super
90, mainly for its diesel economy and front end loader. And just so handy
and nimble with the power steering and sharp turning. Of course I'd need the
brakes fixed, also the mid pump that powers the steering and pto needs work.
The 730 Case would be a close second but that manual steering gets heavier
with each passing year. The Cockshutts have the looks, simplicity and
sentimental appeal but those gas engines just can't compete with the other
diesel tractors for cheap operating.
Same for the JD AR, that big gas burning 2 cylinder is not too practical for
any kind of work other than driving in parades.
The old DC4 Case is gradually acquiring the status of "lawn ornament" (if it
was not stored indoors). Never an easy starter , it is now a two man job to
get it running.
Of course I'd need to keep the Cockshutt 40 for belt pulley work. Plus it
has the only 3 point hitch to attach the snow blower and keep my driveway
open.
Tough choice alright. I can't see myself as ever becoming a one tractor guy.

Ralph in Sask.