[AT] was 8N Ford, now add-on trannys

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 23:15:03 PST 2009

>> >I don't know anything about the Behlen overdrive for the F series but I
>> know Heisler made them.  They made two overdrives for the F-12 and two
>> for the F-14.  One offering had a 2.1 to 1 ratio and the other a 2.32 to
>> 1.
>>
>> They made three overdrives for the F-20, three for the Regular and one for
>> the F-30.  For the Regular and F-20, one Overdrive offering had a 1.99 to
>> 1 ratio, one had a 2.1 to 1 ratio and one had a 2.32 to 1 ratio.  The F-30
>> Overdrive had the 1.99 to 1 ratio.
>>
>> The Data Book I have lists 4th Gear for the F-20 at 3.75 MPH ... I guess
>> even with the fastest overdrive this means the top speed was barely eight
>> and a half  MPH (probably want to have rubber tires for that).
>>
>> Heisler also made the 9-speed gear set for the H & M.  As with the M&W
>> these gear sets offered four additional gears between the "standard" 4th
>> and 5th gears.  This was accomplished by installing an overdrive on the
>> Counter Rotating Shaft.  The overdrive ratio was appropxiamately 2 to 1.
>> Thus, when out of overdrive, the output of the first four gears was
>> unchanged but when in overdrive their output was a hair more than doubled
>> -for an M this meant the additional speeds of approxiametely 6, 7.5, 9 and
>> 11 MPH.
>>
>> Dudley
>> Snohomish, Washington>

Nice discussion Dudly. Just for entertainment here is a discussion of
the Behlen road gear (about a forth of the way down the page),
http://antiquetractorsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20094
-
Here is one about them for Deere's
http://www.ytmag.com/jd/messages/154765.html
-
Here is a short discussion with a picture:
http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=2618319&sid=8adec96257e38a20e46ad37d426f200d
-
I just did a Google on "Behlen road gear" (with the quotes).
A similar search for "Heisler overdrive" brought a lot of hits.
All I have personally seen around here is the Behlen. One of those
geographic things again I guess. I have to wonder if the Behlen was
more local and I'm guessing it was maybe a lot cheaper since it was
just a small aluminum case where apparently the Heisler was a bigger
unit in a heavy cast iron case.
Maybe we will hear some more about these units... I find them very
interesting. I also find the geographic differences around the country
very interesting. So much in common but so many little differences.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"