[AT] 8N Ford

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Dec 22 14:28:33 PST 2009

drupert at seanet.com wrote:
>> Since I am still trying to stay off of my #$%& knee I am going to go
>> look at an 8N Ford Tuesday. Not been ran in a "couple of years". Has
>> very good rear rubber, Sherman hi-lo, pictures look pretty good, looks
>> like good old TSC super fading paint. Would not start, not stuck.
>> -
>> As I look at 9/2/8N's I have been struck by just how many of them have
>> the Sherman's in them. Most are just the step-up's especially in the
>> 9N's. I've seen mostly Hupps in the Fergies around here.
>> It is also amazing just how many of the N's have a mangled grill.
>> Maybe their brakes were not kept up good enough. :-)
>> I have seen a whole herd of F-20's with "road gears" Behlen I think.
>> Are there many other tractors where aftermarket overdrives were used?
>> I have often seen M&W gear sets for Farmall M series but they were to
>> improve 3rd and 4th gear but didn't change 5th.
>>
>> I don't know anything about the Behlen overdrive for the F series but I
> know Heisler made them.  They made two overdrives for the F-12 and two
> for the F-14.  One offering had a 2.1 to 1 ratio and the other a 2.32 to
> 1.
>
> They made three overdrives for the F-20, three for the Regular and one for
> the F-30.  For the Regular and F-20, one Overdrive offering had a 1.99 to
> 1 ratio, one had a 2.1 to 1 ratio and one had a 2.32 to 1 ratio.  The F-30
> Overdrive had the 1.99 to 1 ratio.
>
> The Data Book I have lists 4th Gear for the F-20 at 3.75 MPH ... I guess
> even with the fastest overdrive this means the top speed was barely eight
> and a half  MPH (probably want to have rubber tires for that).
>
> Heisler also made the 9-speed gear set for the H & M.  As with the M&W
> these gear sets offered four additional gears between the "standard" 4th
> and 5th gears.  This was accomplished by installing an overdrive on the
> Counter Rotating Shaft.  The overdrive ratio was appropxiamately 2 to 1.
> Thus, when out of overdrive, the output of the first four gears was
> unchanged but when in overdrive their output was a hair more than doubled
> -for an M this meant the additional speeds of approxiametely 6, 7.5, 9 and
> 11 MPH.
>
> Dudley
> Snohomish, Washington>
>> --

The F-20 we have NEEDS an ad-on gear or 5. I have driven it up to the
farm from my fathers to the old farm (about 10miles) With the "high"
gear it has in it that is ONE LONG TRIP....

In high gear you can get off and jog around it without a problem. The
only saving grace was that it had a wooden platform made across the
drawbar so you didn't have to stay in the seat the entire way.

--
Steve W.