[AT] 8N Ford

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Dec 22 04:29:48 PST 2009

Maybe it is an "Indiana" thing. Around here (NJ) I don't see all that
many Sherman's. The main reason for putting them on N's around here was
to get better control in first, second, and reverse, which were too fast
   for some folks. So the ones I have seen on 9N/2N's have been step
down, while the few I have seen on 8N's were the Up-normal-Down type.
Again, remember that both the Hupp and the Sherman were on the input
shaft, so dropping or increasing the ground speed did the same thing to
the transmission driven PTO. The Howard 2speed rear, on the other hand,
dropped the ground speed while maintaining the PTO speed. You need that
for things like rotary tillers, etc.

As far as the grilles on the N's, they are not made out of especially
heavy material and stick way out in front - it doesn't take much of a
bump to bend them up. I was lucky with my 2N - it spent all of its
working life with a snow plow frame in front, so the grille was still
perfect.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/2n_at_home1.html> I
wish I could have said the same for the rest of the tractor...

Mike