[Farmall] Super A Idle Puzzle

Ben Wagner ben at olde-books.com
Mon Dec 21 17:04:17 PST 2009

Hello,

I am fifteen years old and I am restoring my 1948 Farmall Super A.

I ran the tractor before I really tore her apart.  The engine works
fine, but it won't idle.  I pull the throttle lever back, but the
throttle stays full open.  However, if I pull on the shaft going to the
carburetor from the governor, the engine will finally idle.  As soon as
I let go of the shaft, it throttles back up, almost like it can't hold
the throttle in idle.

A friend said that he thought it was in the "automatic idler," but I
have never heard of a part called this.

My guess is that either I am missing a spring that holds the throttle
shut, or there is something amiss with the governor.  I have the parts
book, but I can't see a missing part.  I appreciate any help any of you
can give!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Ben Wagner