[AT] My "realistic" old tractor plan

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 05:29:25 PST 2009

Now that I have talked about "wished for" tractors and buying all new
tires for all of my tractors by winning a big lottery I thought I
would consider what I might actually be able to do this coming year.
:-)
This is based on my assumption that I'm going to get this #$%& knee to
behave. I think a few more days (maybe the rest of this week) of
staying off of it more than normal is going to help a lot. That golf
cart we bought before Portland last year has been a blessing this
fall. Now I just need to be sure it doesn't become too handy. :-)  I
have always walked a lot and don't want to fall out of the habit.
Now about my old tractors... I have been working on a priority list of
sorts. I can't say when each job will be done but just need to get
everybody positioned in line. :-)
I don't know about the rest of you but I don't own anything that does
not need something worked on...
My intention is to ignore all of the basket case project tractors
until I get everything that just needs some light and moderate work
done to have them in decent running shape even if not pretty. I will
be moving most of the basket cases to a line and make sure they are
not sinking into the ground and are on good safe blocking, probably in
the early spring. This is a pretty practical plan this year since I
have retired from pretty much everything else and will have more time
for shop work.
My list of basket case tractors that will probably not see major
activity at least until fall includes my:
Farmall F-30 (major job)
Farmall F-12 (major job)
Allis WC (major job) needs more parts than I want to buy now.
The original Case VAC needs an engine and clutch assembly (maybe by
mid to late summer)
Several just need a few fairly easy repairs and they will go ahead of
the basket cases.
The Allis C (running) just needs the manifold I bought at Portland
installed (the old one is off) and I need to do some starter work and
fix the charging system.
The Ferguson TO-20 (running) needs a new manifold and charging system
work and rewired.
The Farmall Cub (running) needs the PTO repaired (I have the part),
the governor tightened up and charging system work (seeing a pattern
here?).
The MM-R (running) has a leaking right rear tire (charging system
actually works).
The Farmall Super M (running, used regularly) the charging system quit
this fall and I need to change the sector gear in the steering box.
Keep the battery charged and it starts in any weather. My loader
tractor.
The Farmall S-MTA (running) I need to do some carb work on it (pesky
problem won't go away) and it is not charging either.
The 1948 John Deere A (running) but both rear tires totally shot.
needs new clutch driving disk (worn spline in disk loosens up) and
exhaust pipe. I saved a good generator off of a Deere 45 combine for
it. (definitely this year).
The recently acquired MH-Pony (running) needs a choke cable and a seat
(I have both).
The recently acquired Case VAC (running) needs right rear tire mounted
and a choke cable (I have both).
The MF-165 still sitting in barn (and has been) partly torn down with
internal PTO breakage. Will have to be split (this is its year).
The Farmall 400 LP (engine apart) Not such a big job but it needs rear
tires. (maybe this year, maybe not) Not something I need for use.
John Deere 4020 (running) Is up for sale on Craig's List.
A soon to be acquired N series Ford, probably 8N (I'm looking at
several different Ford N's) I never bought anything yet that didn't
need something.  :-)
-
If I can find some cheap used sound tires (actual tread optional) and
get through about 10 of them (the easier ones) by next fall I will be
pretty happy. Maybe I can even get a couple more painted this summer.
-
Son Scott will be off the week between Christmas and New Years and I'm
going to ask him and one of my son-in-laws to move a good used 100,000
BTU LP furnace I have stored in the loft down into the shop. I will
still use a wood stove but the furnace will help warm it up quickly in
the mornings and be shut down. I have used a 160,000 BTU K-1 unit for
that for a long time but I just don't like working in its fumes.
-
What are your "realistic" old tractor plans for 2010?

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"