[AT] Recap - First tractor

Paul Waugh pwaugh at embarqmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:48:21 PST 2009

It has been an interesting thread, for sure.  I will be working from memory (not a good thing) as I don't save emails.  Some generalizations.

8N (TO20) and Super A were many peoples first tractor to drive. That can only verified the easy of handling of these tractors, that, and the clutch was a straight down movement. That made it a lot easier for a 50 pound 6 yr old to work the clutch.

Another thing which started standing out is, people born in the 40's & 50's were driving by age 5-6. If born in the 60's- 70's is seemed to me they were 10 or better before driving. I realize tractors were bigger by then, but there were still many an 8N or Super a around, because they are still today.  My feeling is, as time has gone on, younger children have been giving less responsibility, they have been trusted less and less.

I was surprised at the number of young drivers that could only drive a straight line, having the father turn the until around and ends of the field. Try that today and Child's Service will be on you.  One can not put the value learned by working with family at this age. They knew what 'work' was about, for, I have a feeling the days, were not short ones. No wonders today's values are so different.

Many people reported that by 10-11 they were on their own with tractors of 2 bottom size. What few kids left on the farm today, have nothing small enough to drive at that age ... unless an antique tractor :))

There was more, but the memory has failed, again. One thing for sure, it re-enforces that my 6 year old grandson will spend time on a tractor this summer, whether Mom likes it or not.

Paul - 46555