[AT] A CHALLENGE - - Can you name the first three tractors youdrove?

Howard Rawls howard at cconnect.net
Wed Dec 16 09:17:25 PST 2009

OK, Farmer I never could resist a challenge so here goes. My first tractor
driving experience was on a new "Leader" that my Uncle bought for our farm
in about 1950? I was about 11 years old then. Before that, we had an old
Farmall that I was not allowed to mess with. We still were farming with
mules and that Leader was a real blessing to us. We used it for everything,
even ran a buzz saw with it. I felt like a king while riding that Leader
across the fields and I loved the sound of that Hercules engine under load!
My next tractor driving experience was on my cousin's Farmall Super A and
next (about 1965) was an old John Deere with a hand clutch and big flywheel
on the side. Have no idea what model that might have been, but it was the
first tractor that I actually owned and was a really good tractor. I sold
the John Deere and bought a Ferguson TO-30 in about 1980 ? . Wish I still
had that one. Some where along the way I have picked up a couple of the old
Leaders that I loved so well, an old AC-B, a BF Avery, and a couple of years
ago I bought a brand new Massey Ferguson 431 (which I also love ;-)).
I have really enjoyed this thread, thanks guys for stirring up old, good,
memories!
Howard Rawls
Vanceboro, NC