[AT] Pressure washers

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 15 19:10:59 PST 2009

John,  about 20 years ago a guy working with me was spaying a tar based
substance called Kiln Coat that you spray on the inside of lumber kilns.  We
sprayed with a 50:1 ratio airless paint pump being driven by a diesel air
compressor putting out about 125 psi.  The stuff was so stiff that we still
had to put it in another lumber kiln and heat it to 100 degs + to get it to
spray.   It had was is called a revers-a-clean tip on the gun.  That means
if the tip stops up you can flip it over and blow fluid back though it to
clear it.  Well it stopped up and when he reversed it it didn't clear.  He
knew better but without thinking he brushed his finger over the tip.  That
cleared it alright but it blew kiln coat into his finger at a few thousand
PSI (roughly 125 psi x 50).  We took him to the hospital where a plastic
surgeon had to split his arm open from the tip of his finger all the way up
past his elbow and scrape the kiln coat out of him a little bit at the time.
The surgery took several hours.  He recovered fully but he's very lucky it
didn't go directly into his blood stream.  It would have killed him before
we ever got him to the hospital.

Charlie