[AT] When did you start collecting old tractors?

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 18:34:33 PST 2009

Hi all,
I got my first (real) tractor in 1995.  Purchased it from the mill where I was the vehicle maintenance foreman.  First saw it when I started in maintenance in 1974.  Fell in love with it and didn't even know what it was other than OLD.  Oh, by the way, for some reason it saw very fine maintenance during my tenure, hee hee.  Turns out I am the second owner of a 1941 IH I-4.  Well you could say I'm the third cause IH used it in their Fort Wayne plant for the first year, the mill bought it in '42, and I was able to save it from the scrapper.  By the way, my family loves this one too, but it might just be cause it's special to me.  Another fun point is that the serial number is OBH-1921 which denotes an orchard model but this one came off the line as an industrial.  This was determined when I met the gentleman that hand built the fenders on this tractor when it arrived at the Fort Wayne plant in '41.  All the family had to do to get it ready for the first
 show was to replace the brake bands and scrape off 'leventeen coats of safety yellow paint and repaint it to it's original orange glory.
I just picked up my second 'real' tractor, a Case SC, slightly stuck, bad tires, but everything is there and all metal is straight.  Am going to try to get it done for the spring.
To many projects, not enough livetimes to get them all done, Oh well.....

David Myers
Paw Paw, MI