[AT] O.T. -- telephone Magic Jack (OT)

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Sun Dec 13 16:31:12 PST 2009

Herb -

I just returned home from an extended (hunting) trip and was wading thru
all the ATs that had accumulated when I found your recent one re Magic
Jack. I've been using it for about two years now, primarily for just
outgoing LD calls to the US & Canada. Its strengths are unlimited
calling, no time limit of your calls, and it works with any standard
landlocked phone. Its weaknesses are in having to let others know its
special number (which is first assigned but may be changed later), it
requires a new USB plug-in unit each renewal year, and while not as bad
as the old PC-based phones some of us tried years ago, voice connections
may occasionally breakup during conversations or when/if you start
getting an auto update,etc. coming in via your ISP.  Here's a link to
some reviews by users.
http://www.measuredup.com/company/Magic-Jack-3309. But the choice to try
it or not is all yours. At worst, you'll be out $40. At best, you'll
save that much in LD charges or unlimited LD fees.
Bob in CNY