[AT] Best way to prevent diesel gel

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Dec 13 10:07:09 PST 2009

As others have said, what was just fine in old engines will ruin a modern
engine in no time at all.   Power Service white bottle (the grey bottle is not
an anti-gel, but if you need a boost in summer it is better) is what most
people use because you can get it everywhere.   There are other good brands
though.    If you don't trust your fuel source to be well winterized, then
just put this in by default.   In fact sometimes it is cheaper to buy summer
diesel and put an anti-gel in yourself, than buying winterized diesel.   When
counting those costs, don't forget that summer diesel has more energy than
winter diesel.

I mostly replied to say: DO NOT USE DIESEL KLEEN 911 unless you absolutely
must.   It will remove the gel, but it is hard on the injectors (it cuts the
lubrication value of the fuel).   If you are having gel problems it means you
weren't putting enough anti-gel in your fuel to begin with.  The
recommendation to avoid using diesel kleen 911 comes right from the
manufacture.   They sell it for emergencies, but you should prevent the
problem before hand with an anti-gel.