[AT] Computer spyware problem HELP

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Sat Dec 12 10:50:46 PST 2009

With XP you have the choice of three types of accounts -

Administrator - the default if you don't create a password and always
available if you do set up other type accounts

Limited - the type I use for my day to day use - some programs have
issues with this depending on who they are written as this type account
is limited in access to the operating system - for example this type
account cannot install programs, run Windows Update or some other
things.  To run Update I log in under my administrator account which
allows full access.

Guest - even more limited and designed to provide limited access to the
computer by someone without an account

Somewhat like the Linux security model.

If you have a password protected administrator account you can also
establish limited accounts and/or a guest account.  Multiple limited
accounts cannot change any settings for another account while the
administrator account can change any setting for any account.  File
access is also controlled on the account level.  Example if I have two
limited accounts A and B whatever account A has set up and any files
created by A are not available to B.  Neither A or B can change anything
to do with the Administrator account or see the files created by the
Administrator account.

The idea is excellent, the implementation on XP is only fair BUT it does
provide some additional security.

David
NW NC