[AT] Old trains/now NC State foolishness

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 10 15:04:16 PST 2009

I felt pretty fortunate to take most of my classes in the College of Ag.
and Life Sciences.  Most of those professors were leaders in their
respective fields, but at the same time were pragmatic enough to realize
that they had a responsibility to their students as well as their research.
And I hit it at a good time--a lot of the "greats" retired not long after I
graduated in '97:  Dr. Carm Parkhurst in Poultry Science, Drs. Al Rakes and
Ray Harvey in Animal Science, Dr. Roy Larsen in Horticulture (the only one
of the bunch that didn't seem to do that much teaching--just talked for an
hour than gave you a hard-a$$ exam on stuff he'd never mentioned in class)
and Dr. J.C. Raulston in Horticulture---he got killed in a car accident
right near the end of the following fall semester after I had him the
previous fall.

Dr. Carm Parkhurst was probably the best teacher I have ever had, anywhere.
He could lecture to a group of 40-50 students and make you think he was
talking directly to you and no one else. At first I thought it was just me
until some of us were talking before class one day and realized that we ALL
felt that way.

The only classes I came close to struggling in were the other classes
outside of Ag. Education or CALS.  Modern American History was tough.  I
had a professor for 20th Century American Lit. (or something like that)
that literally couldn't see my papers unless I printed it about 16 font in
boldface.  Anything I wrote was never right.  I already mentioned
botany--that was a farce.  The maths I took were ok but it was amusing to
watch people try to get help from the TA from China that spoke maybe 25-30
words of English.

Al

It