[AT] Tractor colors

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:19:56 PST 2009

I was looking at Mike Sloan's excellent restoration of his 2N
Ford/Ferguson (We never called our 9N a Ford, it was always the
Ford/Ferguson).. A lot of my friends that moved up here from KY kept
insisting on calling it a Fordson. :-)
As I was looking at the pictures Diana walked up and looked and said
"Is that painted? It looks like it is just primed". When I indicated
that it was indeed nicely painted she responded with "eeew! what a
drab awful color!".
Now I have been dropping seeds of thought for some time that one of
those needs to be appearing here one of these days soon. Rather than
just saying "I want one of those"I started showing her more brightly
colored tractors with color schemes that I could use on one here if I
had one.  Now I have almost convinced myself as well. I looked at
Mikes tractor again and that really is a pretty pathetic color when
you look at it...
I don't consider paint to be a permanent thing like chopping metal etc.
Two of the prettiest tractors around IMHO are Larry and Gary Dotson's
Cockshutts which have reversed color schemes from each other. Another
color scheme I like a lot is the Ferguson 40.
Our TO-20 bought new in about 1949 did have a little better color than
the 9N. It had more of a hint of blue instead of just dead carp gray.
:-)
When we restored it in the late 1960s we used the Massey Ferguson
colors. We were not doing it for showing, we just thought it would
look sharp and it did.
As I was looking at colors today it occurred to me that the color
scheme of the Case 300 might look sharp on a 9N/2N...
http://media.photobucket.com/image/case%20300/NZTRACTORDUDE/scan0008.jpg
I would get a lot of fun from watching the "correct police" gasp and
gag over one painted like that. ;-)
I know, I have a mean streak... :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?