[AT] When did you start collecting old tractors?

Lew Best lew at lewslittlefarm.com
Thu Dec 10 06:01:01 PST 2009

Well I'm not really a "collector"; mainly a "lover of big toys."  Enjoy
bringing machines back to life that other folks have given up on & they're
usually more affordable (particularly since I'm retired & fixed income) than
working stuff.

I guess I got started back in the late '70's when I bought my first little
farm after leaving the Navy.  First tractor was a JD B; second an A then a
560 IH diesel.  Sold all when I moved back here to town due to my parents'
failing health.  They passed on in '95; I stayed in town until about 5 years
ago & couldn't take the city's "big brother" attitude anymore so moved here
to this little farm.

I have miniature donkeys, a few chickens & rabbits is all.  I do try to cut
& bale enough hay for my little donkeys; have a Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel, old
JD 214WS baler, NH 57 rake & Vicon cutter. Other toys include a 420 JD
converted to a forklift, an old IH 14 rake (need 2 or 3 strippers for it),
AC 5030 (needs flywheel & reassembling), IH 47 baler (also got a 46 for
parts; hope to make one good one) and a NH skidsteer (in process of
reassembling) and a Ford 1841 backhoe (mainly needs tlc to make it usable).

I am not a "show equipment type of guy"; just need affordable working
equipment.  If anyone happens to have the flywheel for the AC (3 cyl diesel;
some Long tractors were the same) or the strippers for an old IH rake
(several old IH rakes use the same strippers) please let me know; I sure
need them.

Lew Best near Waco, TX
Please note new email addy
lew at lewslittlefarm.com

When did you start collecting old tractors?