[AT] When did you start collecting old tractors?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Wed Dec 9 15:49:10 PST 2009

    Ralph;
    I never owned a Cockshutt 50, but started driving driving one in 1958.
It was a diesel owned by my best friend's dad who I worked for for my last 2
years in school. Also had a Co-op E-4 gas tractor.
    I was driving the E-4 one evening with a rope trip plow and when I came
to the end and tripped the rope to raise the plow, I looked back to make
sure the plow raised as I was turning on the headland and when I turned back
around, the tractor had not turned and went straight down an 8 foot
ditchbank to the bottom. The pin in the steering u-joint had come out
letting the wheel turn free. Tractor went straight in to the bottom and no
harm was done. Jim had a chain on the 50 and pulled the plow out backward
and then we put a bolt in the u-joint and pulled the Co-op backward up the
hill. Hooked up the plow and went back to work. Don't think his dad ever
knew about that.

                                                Gene